I am so excited to introduce you to this recipe since it’s based on an ingredient I’m deeply in love with not only for its great nutritional properties but also for its historical background: The superfood chia seeds!
Chia seeds are one of the most popular superfoods nowadays. They are originally from Mexico, historically used by the Aztec warriors for their great nutritional properties such as high nutrient density and energy boosting power. They were so high valued by the Aztecs that they were also used as currency. Chia means “strength” in the Mayan language.
Chia seeds are rich in fiber, protein, omega-3 fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals such as calcium, potassium and magnesium. Among their key health benefits are: They support healthy skin, reduce signs of ageing, support the heart and digestive systems, help treat diabetes, prevent some types of cancer, promote dental health, boost energy, support build strong bones and muscles and promote weight loss.
With so many health benefits chia seeds are definitely a good food to add to your diet! Try this easy recipe either for breakfast or as a snack when you need an extra energy boost between your meals. Enjoy!
Total time: 15min / Serves: 1
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, honey or stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 10 almonds
- 1/2 cup of frozen berries (any kind depending on availability and seasonality)
- 1 kiwi (sliced)
- Add chia seeds, coconut milk and water to a Mason jar or any container with a tight lid.
- Give a good shake or stir and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir and top with walnuts, almonds, berries and sliced kiwi.
- Adjust the thickness of the pudding with extra milk if desired.