Eggs are a great source of protein. They are considered a complete protein since they contain all nine essential amino acids necessary in our diet. In recent years, eggs had a bad reputation due to their high cholesterol content, however, these critics were undeserved as the cholesterol in eggs actually helps regulate the two different types of cholesterol in the body.
Eggs health benefits are many, some of the most important are: They reduce the risk of heart disease, help with weight loss, maintain liver function and brain health and keep your skin and eyes healthy.
It is important to pay attention to buy high-quality eggs, this means organic and free-range. Free-range eggs have less cholesterol, less saturated fat and more vitamin A, E and beta-carotene. Hens raised in cages live in horrific conditions and are more prone to disease, therefore, avoid putting your health on risk and also support products that are organic, locally produced and practice humane treatment to animals.
There are many delicious ways to prepare eggs. You can try them boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, etc. It is recommended to eat the whole egg (yolk and white) to get all the amazing nutritional benefits they offer.
With that said, let’s prepare some delicious eggs on toast! One of my favourite options for brunch time on weekends!
Total time: 20min / Serves: 1
- 2 eggs (organic and free-range)
- 1 slice wholegrain bread (you can chose gluten-free bread)
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1/3 avocado
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 pinch Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 handful fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, or basil)
- Cook the eggs the way you prefer: boiled, poached or fried. If fried, use 1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the bread and place on top of a spinach bed.
- Top the toast with the avocado.
- When the eggs are done, place them on top of the avocado.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs.