Eggplant is a highly nutritious vegetable, high in antioxidants, special phytonutrients, fiber, vitamins K, B, Folate, Manganese, Potassium Magnesium and Copper. It is also low in calorie content. According to some recent studies, cooking the eggplant has even more nutritional benefits than eating it raw, this, since cooking the eggplant increases its available antioxidant content and further releases its disease-fighting compounds.
Among the key health benefits of eggplants are: Prevent and fight cancer, lower cholesterol, improve digestion, support bone building, increase energy and prevent skin cancer.
Now, let’s talk about the tomatoes! They are high in antioxidants content, a rich source of lycopene, beta-carotene, folate, potassium, vitamin C, flavonoids and vitamin E. Among their nutritional benefits are: Cancer-fighting properties, anti-inflammatory properties, improve heart health, protect vision and eye health, promote skin health and protect bone health.
Eggplant Lasagna combines the health benefits of both eggplants and tomatoes, so imagine not only the powerhouse of nutrition you get but also the amazing taste of this Mediterranean recipe! Enjoy it and let me know your comments below!
Total time: 55min / Serves: 4 portions
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (low-sodium)
- 1 eggplant, sliced in 1/2 inch rounds
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 50g – 70g panela cheese (you can use any vegan alternative if you want)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Pour the tomato sauce in an oven-proof dish.
- Make one layer by placing half of the eggplant slices on the sauce.
- Make a second layer by placing the tomato slices on top of the eggplant slices.
- Make a third layer by placing the remaining eggplant slices on top of the tomato slices.
- Top with panela cheese covering all the dish.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic, basil and oregano on top.
- Place the oven-proof dish in the oven and let it cook for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot.
*Photo from www.ambitiouskitchen.com