Lentils are one of my favorite foods as they are loaded with health benefits, they have an amazing taste, and they also are a great source of plant-based protein, high in folate, manganese, iron and phosphorus which makes them a great element for vegetarian and vegan diets.
Lentils have many nutrition benefits, some of the most important are: The ability to improve and maintain heart health, improve digestive health, support weight loss, prevent and fight blood sugar fluctuations which makes them a great option in diabetes diets. Lentils help to balance pH levels by alkalizing the body and they support a healthy and strong immune system.
This recipe is easy, delicious and highly nutritious. Prepare it and let me know if you liked it in the comments!
Total time: 35min / Serves: 2
- 1/2 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cube low-sodium vegetable broth
- Add the oil, onion and garlic to a large pot, add a pinch of salt, stir, and sauté over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and cinnamon, stir until combined, continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, coconut milk, lentils and vegetable broth, stir and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are fluffy and tender.
- Turn off the heat and add the spinach, stir until tender.
- Add the lime juice to taste. Serve hot.